Recipe by jenny butt
This recipe for roti bread comes from Dorinda's Taste of the Caribbean and is very authentic.
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil (30 -44 ml)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together warm water, yeast,sugar in bowl.
- Sift together flour. baking powder, & salt into another bowl.
- Stir to mix & make a well in centre.
- Add yeast mixture & enough water to make a smooth , malleable but firm dough.
- dough must not be too sticky or too stiff.
- Cover dough with cloth and allow to stand for 1 hour allowing dough to rise.
- when risen, pinch off golf size portions of the dough
- Form into balls in your hands.
- Roll out balls (1 by one )on a floured board into thin flat circles.
- Brush or spray griddle with oil & heat until hot.
- Cook the roti one at a time until brown on both sides for about 1 1/2 - 2 mins per side.
- As you cook the roti, make sure the griddle stays coated with oil.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve fill centre of roti with curry of choice, fold over, wrap, eat & enjoy.