Recipe by Chocolatl
A regular bread, not the sweet, cakelike type. Adapted from Breads of the World. Prep time includes rising time. Canned pumpkin is not recommended for this recipe.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin (or puree)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yeast, water and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and molasses.
- Stir in pumpkin and cloves.
- Slowly add flour, cup by cup, until the dough becomes stiff enough to knead.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down and knead again for a few minutes.
- Divide dough in two, and place each piece in a greased 8"x4" loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise about 45 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake until crust is golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped, 35-40 minutes.