Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 55 mins
Cook 35 mins
A regular bread, not the sweet, cakelike type. Adapted from Breads of the World. Prep time includes rising time. Canned pumpkin is not recommended for this recipe.
- Combine yeast, water and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and molasses.
- Stir in pumpkin and cloves.
- Slowly add flour, cup by cup, until the dough becomes stiff enough to knead.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down and knead again for a few minutes.
- Divide dough in two, and place each piece in a greased 8"x4" loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise about 45 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake until crust is golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped, 35-40 minutes.