Recipe by jenny butt
Pepper pot is made throughout the Islands, and will differ slightly on each island.It is a dish that can go on, & on , & on.......
- 1 beef hock or 1 oxtails or 1 chicken or 1 duck or 1 pork knuckles or 1 lamb
- 3 lbs fresh lean pork
- 1 lb salt pork or 1 lb pickled pork
- 4 whole bell peppers or 4 scotch bonnet peppers or 4 habaneros
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lb onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, heaped
- 1⁄2 cup cassava juice (cassareep)
Directions See How It's Made
- clean & cut meat into small pieces.
- Put into a large NON METAL pot (clay)& cover with plenty of water.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Add peppers ( In a small cloth bag), thyme sliced,onions, sugar & casseripe.
- Simmer until meat is tender.
- Boil everyday to keep fresh.
- Add fredsh meat (or cooked leftovers) from time to time.
- NEVER ADD ANYTHING WITH STARCH OR FLOUR,(even Rice) as pepperpot could sour & go bad.
- ALWAYS USE NON METAL UTENSILS (ie wooden spoons).
- Add water with cassereep every so often & boil.