1/2 Photos of Trinidad Corn Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Extremely popular at Carnival time. It can be bought piping hot from street vendors and is served at most carnival fêtes. West Indian corn is more starchy and less sweet than the North American variety but I don't imagine that other varieties of corn would detract from the flavour of this dish. Goes a lot faster if done in a pressure coooker. For the dumplings refer to Flour Dumplings (Sinkers/Spinners)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lb potato, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas
- 2 pimento pepper (optional)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 habanero pepper, left whole
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 6 ears corn, cut into 2inch pieces
- 8 dumplings (or more)
- 1/4 cup culantro, chopped (substitute cilantro)
- black pepper
- 1In a large soup pot heat oil.
- 2Add the onions and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- 3Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, thyme and pimento peppers and cook for about 5 mins stirring constantly.
- 4Add the split peas and stock.
- 5Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- 6Add the scotch bonnet pepper and if using the coconnut milk.
- 7Cover the pot and simmer for about an hour until peas are soft.
- 8Use an immersion or ordinary blender and puree soup to a thick and creamy consistency and return to the pot.
- 9Add corn and dumplings and cook for a further 20 minutes until corn is cooked and the dumplings float to the surface.
- 10Add culantro, remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasonings.
- 11If soup is too thick at any time, add water.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trinidad Corn Soup
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.6
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 487.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: