1/1 Photo of Trinidad Black Cake
Roxanne J.R.'s Note:
This is my absolute favourite cake for the Christmas holidays. I would always look forward to this season just to get a piece of this cake. The longer the fruit sits in the alcohol the better is tastes, minimum 2 weeks, maximum 3 months. As for the cake, the longer it sits there better it tastes! But make sure you have it wrapped properly if you want to leave it sitting for a long time. Make at few days ahead of serving for good measure. Prep time is minimum time required for fruit to soak.
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1To Prepare Fruit Mixture (reminder, this is done at least 2 weeks ahead of baking the cake).
- 2Wash the currants, raisins, prunes and mixed peel, then pat dry.
- 3Place fruit mixture in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- 4Transfer to a large, clean jar or container, add 1/2 cup brown sugar, the mixed spice, rum and cherry brandy.
- 5Mix very well and then cover with a lid and set aside for anything from 2 week to 3 months.
- 6NOTE: I kept my mixture in the fridge during this time and the longer it is left to sit the better the flavour will be.
- 7Stir the fruit mixture occasionally and keep covered.
- 8Optional: You may add more alcohol when you do this. (I didn't).
- 9To Make Cake.
- 10Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 11Grease and line two 9 inch cakes pans with parchment paper.
- 12Sift the flour, set aside.
- 13Cream together butter and 1 3/4 cups brown sugar.
- 14Beat in eggs, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- 15Add the fruit mixture, then gradually stir in flour and vanilla.
- 16Mix well, adding 1-2 tbsps of cherry brandy if the mixture is too stiff.
- 17NOTE: The mixture should be able to fall off the back of the spoon, but should not be too runny.
- 18Spoon the mixture in to the prepared tins, cover loosely with foil and bake for about 2 1/2 hours until the cake is firm and springs back to the touch.
- 19Leave cake to cool in tin overnight, then sprinkle with more dark rum if the cake is not being used immediately.
- 20Wrap cake in foil to keep it moist.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trinidad Black Cake
Serving Size: 1 (4000 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5694.9
- Calories from Fat 1927
- Total Fat 214.1 g
- Saturated Fat 125.1 g
- Cholesterol 1545.5 mg
- Sodium 4982.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 895.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 87.1 g
- Sugars 499.0 g
- Protein 80.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: