1/1 Photo of Trilevel Brownies
This crowd pleaser features two layers of creamy chocolate and chewy oatmeal cookie-like layer. Walnut halves (or your favorite holiday candy) make a tasty topper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- walnut halves (optional)
- 1FOR BOTTOM LAYER:.
- 2stir together oats, the 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, and baking soda.
- 3Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.
- 4Pat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 11x7x1-1/2-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.
- 5FOR MIDDLE LAYER:.
- 6Stir together egg, granulated sugar, the 2/3 cup flour, the milk, the 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 ounce melted chocolate, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the baking powder until smooth.
- 7Fold in chopped walnuts.
- 8Spread batter over baked layer in pan.
- 9Bake about 25 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Set on a wire rack while preparing top layer.
- 11FOR TOP LAYER:.
- 12In a medium saucepan heat and stir 1 ounce chocolate and the 2 tablespoons butter until melted.
- 13Stir in the powdered sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- 14Stir in enough hot water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a mixture that is almost pourable.
- 15Spread over brownies.
- 16If desired, garnish with walnut halves.
- 17Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 brownies.
- 18*Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and bake brownies as directed. Frost and cool. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trilevel Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (1098 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.4 mg
- Sodium 61.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g