This crowd pleaser features two layers of creamy chocolate and chewy oatmeal cookie-like layer. Walnut halves (or your favorite holiday candy) make a tasty topper.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- walnut halves (optional)
- FOR BOTTOM LAYER:.
- stir together oats, the 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, and baking soda.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Pat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 11x7x1-1/2-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.
- FOR MIDDLE LAYER:.
- Stir together egg, granulated sugar, the 2/3 cup flour, the milk, the 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 ounce melted chocolate, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the baking powder until smooth.
- Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Spread batter over baked layer in pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Set on a wire rack while preparing top layer.
- FOR TOP LAYER:.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir 1 ounce chocolate and the 2 tablespoons butter until melted.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir in enough hot water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a mixture that is almost pourable.
- Spread over brownies.
- If desired, garnish with walnut halves.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 brownies.
- *Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and bake brownies as directed. Frost and cool. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day.