Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recent search turned up this recipe from Fine Living. This would have to be one of my favorite desserts of all times.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 small frozen pound cake, thawed and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 cups mixed berries
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar and cornstarch.
- In a medium saucepan, heat three cups of cream until small bubbles appear around the edges.
- Slowly whisk the hot cream into the egg mixture then return it to the saucepan.
- Cook, whisking constantly, over moderate heat until just boiling and thickened — about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla and transfer to a bowl to cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large trifle bowl, layer one third of the cake across the bottom, breaking some cake to fill in the holes. Top with one third of the berries and one third of the custard. Repeat with the remaining cake and berries to make two more layers, ending with the custard.
- Puree the thawed raspberries in a blender and strain to remove the seeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining cup cream until firm peaks form. Add the berry puree and fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the "fool" over the trifle and refrigerate until chilled, at least four hours.