Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
Prep time included chilling time. From Southern Living.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together all ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Place pan in ice water; whisk occasionally until cool.
- Chill completely, about 2 hours.
I made this custard for "Poppy"'s Tiramisu Trifle #64044. I actually used all of the custard and used 2 7 oz. pkgs. of savoiardi biscuits and made 4 layers. It was wonderful! Thank you!
I just whipped this up for a tropical trifle for a friend's party tomorrow. I have never made custard before, but this was quite easy and I had all of the ingredients on hand. It hasn't even cooled yet and it already tastes lovely. I plan to add about 3/4 tsp of rum extract to make it rum custard for my tropical theme. Thanks for a great recipe, Bev!
Made this custard back in the winter for a black cherry and brandy trifle - it was wonderful. Easy to make and no problems with lumps, etc. Sorry for not rating it sooner but I was out of the country and using an internet office. Thanks Bev.