Recipe by UmmBinat
ZWT7 South Africa. 89, 5 star reviews on http://allrecipes.com! How could you go wrong? In South Africa Trifles are typically enjoyed over the Christmas season but is also a great anytime treat. This one is delicious and elegant looking layered in a trifle bowl or in individual dessert glasses.
- 2 white cake layers, baked and cooled (8 or 9 inches)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond
- 12 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar.
- Cut the bananas into slices and toss with orange juice.
- Combine pudding mix with milk and mix until smooth.
- Cut the cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Use half of the cake cubes to line the bottom of a large glass bowl.
- Layer half of the strawberries followed by half of the blueberries, and then half of the bananas.
- Spread half of the pudding over the fruit.
- Repeat layers in the same order.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over top of trifle.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and slivered almonds.