1/2 Photos of Trieste Pork Stew
2 hrs 30 mins
Liza at Food.com's Note:
Mario Batali's that I've adapted to use a few more common ingredients...I wasn't much of a stew person until I tried this and was in love. This is so simple, caramelized, and rich, yet lighter due to the chicken stock, that it is now my goto stew recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil (Batali uses 1 slice of pork fat back)
- 1360.77 g pork shoulder, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 onions, sliced
- 236.59 ml merlot (just use whatever dry red wine you've got open)
- 14.79 ml smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 29.58 ml fresh rosemary leaves
- 177.44 ml tomato paste (I just use a small can)
- 236.59 ml chicken stock (Batali uses veal stock)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1In a Dutch Oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Season the pork with salt and pepper and add to the oil and sear on all sides, working in batches if necessary.
- 3Add the sliced onions and cook until they are browned and soft, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add the wine and allow it to evaporate completely.
- 5Add the paprika, bay leaves, rosemary.
- 6Stir in tomato paste.
- 7Cook for 3-4 minutes over high heat, then stir in the chicken stock.
- 8Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook about 1.5-2 hours, until the sauce has thickened.
- 9Stir in the lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve immediately with buttered hot pasta.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trieste Pork Stew
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 771.9
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 162.2 mg
- Sodium 468.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 44.2 g