Recipe by Debber
This is THE ONE every bride should have in her recipe box; it is the way to the groom's heart as well as the in-laws! Not soupy or pathetic, but hearty and "come hither!" Plan to bring an empty pan home if you take this to the church potluck!
- 9 -12 lasagna noodles, cooked & held in cool water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground meat (beef, Ital. sausage, turkey, venison)
- 1 (28 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta and hold in a pot of lukewarm water; set aside.
- Brown the meat, then add sauce, soup, seasonings; let simmer for a few minutes to meld the flavors. Feel free to add some water to keep the sauce "loose" --
- In a small bowl, mix cottage cheese and parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Layer in pan in the following order --
- Three to four noodles, HALF the meat sauce.
- Three to four noodles, half the cottage-parmesan cheese (spread dollops out evenly).
- Three to four noodles, sprinkle two cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Three to four noodles, remaining meat, cottage-parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Finish with remaining parmesan.
- Pop in the oven for 60 minutes; let stand 10-15 minutes before serving (easier to cut and serve).
- NO COOK NOODLE METHOD: Leave lasagna uncooked; use same number of noodles, just spread them out so they are evenly distributed in their layers. When all layers are in the pan, pour in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup very HOT water around edges. Cover pan TIGHTLY with foil to create a steamy environment. Check the noodles after 1 hr 15 minutes; if soft, remove foil completely (you might want to add a bit extra cheese at this point), pop back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes to get golden brown and bubbly.
- NOTE: use any combination of meat or all of one kind--whatever you like!