Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a sophisticated pasta salad that is perfect for a special picnic, light lucheon or dinner main course. Originally from an August 1984 issue of Bon Apetit that featured Picnics Made Perfect.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 lb mixed fusilli (egg,spinach and tomato fusilli)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces small cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Char peppers in broiler or over open flame, turning until skins blacken;place in plastic bag and steam 10 minutes.
- Remove skin and seeds;rinse and pat dry.
- Cut into fisilli-sized strips.
- Cook pasta in large pot of rapidly boiling salted water until firm but still tender to bite.
- Drain, rinse under cold water and drain;sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Blend vinegar, mustard,salt and pepper in bowl.
- Whisk in oil in thin stream.
- Add in peppers, fusilli,shrimp and basil;toss well.
- Can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.