Recipe by casamain
Recently my friend who just returned from a long trip and is really averse to cooking or being in the kitchen SOS'd me-'say I have not been to the grocery store and have to get something on the table for this evening what can I do? Well what do you have in the house? And she gave me a real short list, chicken breast strips, bread, couple of bottles of some sauces! bread crumbs, eggs,cheese.cooking oil-- etc so as we were talking I came up with a simple but delicious tit bit that could be put on the table for a light evening meal. After i had finshed giving her an 'on the spot' idea , I started feeling hungry for it and so I went into my own kitchen to dish up this Yummy recipe and gave it a name. I am sure it will be a hit with many who try it out.If you have any green herbs like cilantro or parsley please feel free to add to it , even a green chili chopped fine will be just great. If you would like to turn this into a regular full meal, you can make a white sauce with cheese and pour it over the triangles, and bake it for 5 minutes at 190 degrees. Serve with a crisp green garden salad
- 6 slices bread, day old with crusts cut diagonally
- 300 g chicken breasts, minced
- 4 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small onion, chopped very fine
- 150 g instant mashed potatoes, powder or 2 mashed boiled potatoes
- 50 g any hard cheese, grated
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped fine
- 3 sprigs cilantro or 3 sprigs parsley, chopped fine
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper, as per taste
- corn oil, for quick frying
Directions See How It's Made
- In the food processor add the chicken fillets and mince it Or mince the chicken very fine with a sharp knife.
- In a bowl add the chicken mince, egg yolk, onion cilantro,cheese, green chili, salt and pepper, and mix well. add 1/2 the bread crumbs so you have a firm mixture.
- In a separate bowl make the potatoe flakes , let the mashed potatoe mixture be heavy and thick.Use less water. If using fresh boiled potatoes then peel and mash well.
- Spoon the chicken mixture on the bread triangles and then spoon just enough of the mashed potatoe on top of it to cover the chicken mix ,by cupping your palm over the filling press lightly so it sits without it falling over.Press bread crumbs to finish it.Do this with all the 12 triangles of Bread.
- In a frying pan heat oil on medium heat , drop a bread crumb to test the oil that its hot enough, should float up immediately.
- With a flat spoon , gently lower one triangle into the oil. with a flat spoon spoon the hot oil onto the top of the triangle, this will help to seal the top. Lower heat, turn after 2 minutes to cook the other side.
- With a slotted spoon remove the triangle on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil-- continue with the rest.Those of you who are used to frying two triangles at a time will be faster.
- Serve with a green salad for a meal or as an apetitser for a beer evening.