Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a super popular salad at a local restaurant. I've looked for the recipe for ages,and an al.com blog finally posted it! It is VERY easy, it just looks like it takes longer than it does because of the roastinga nd blanching. Prep time is mostly letting the beets roast and letting the salad stand.
- 1 lb golden beets, roasted and peeled (see below)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb asparagus, blanched and chopped (see below)
- 1 pot salt water
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- Toss all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes.
- To Roast Beets: Wash beets well in cold running water. Place beets in a baking dish and coat them with extra virgin olive oil.
- Put 1/2 cup of water into the baking dish along with bay leaves and thyme.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour in a 350-degree oven.
- Allow beets to cool and then wipe off the skin with paper towel. Dice beets into 1/4-inch cubes. (Note: Be careful not to overcook or the beets will become mushy.).
- To Blanch Asparagus: Bring a pot of salted water to a simmer. Trim off ends of asparagus and place them into the simmering water until they turn bright green, about 3 to 5 minutes. As soon as they turn bright green remove them from the simmer and place them into cold water. Once they have cooled chop into bite-size pieces.
- For vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to a blender and mix on high until well incorporated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
This was really good! I did omit the tomatoes as personal preference but otherwise kept the same. This makes a lot, definitely more than 6 servings as stated but regardless, it was awesome. Thanks!