Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Yummy tri tip sandwich with fresh slaw!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 ears fresh corn, cut from the cob
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 lbs tri-tip roast or 2 -3 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 large seeded hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the pepper, oregano, cumin, celery salt, garlic powder and paprika.
- Rub the spice mix into the meat and place the roast fat side up in a foil lined pan. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat reads 120-125 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, oever medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onions and garlic until soft and golden. Add the mustard, brown sugar and instant coffee to the saucepan and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the hot pepper sauce, tomato sauce and vinegar. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Check the taste and adjust as you need to.
- Remove meat from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before slicing thinly across the grain and returning to the roasting pan. Slather the meat with plently of warm sauce and return to the oven, then prepare the slaw.
- In a large bowl, mix almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard seed and celery seed. Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, corn and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Refrigerate until serving.
- Heat the buns, pile high with barbecued beef, smother with gobs of warm sauce. Serve with slaw!