Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Tri-tip roast is not commonly available where I live. But my butcher can get it for me, if I ask real nice. Great done on the grill.
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 (2 lb) tri-tip roast, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce: in a medium saucepan combine the sauce ingredients with 2 tablespoons water; bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally; set aside half of the sauce for dipping.
- Make the rub: in a small bowl, mix the rub ingredients very well, use your fingertips (works better).
- Let the roast stand at room temperature 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly coat the meat with the oil and season with the rub, pressing spices into the meat.
- Grill over Direct Medium heat until well marked on both sides, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Move the roast over Indirect Medium heat and cook to desired doneness, 20-30 minutes more for medium-rare, brushing the meat with the remaining half of the sauce on both sides and turning it over every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from the grill and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce.