Prep 10 mins
Cook 37 mins
A friend gave me this brownie recipe many years ago. they are delicious. now i make them for my son who loves them.
BASE First Layer
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
FROSTING Third layer
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- BASE: Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, soda, salt, and melted butter.
- Pat into a 11x7x1 1/2 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER: Mix sugar, butter and melted chocolate.
- Add egg: beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk and vanilla.
- Stir in chopped nuts if using.
- Spread over baked cooled base layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- FROSTING: Melt chocolate with butter over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Blend in hot water to make an almost pourable consistency.
- Frost brownies.
- Cut into 16 bars.
tasty and fun brownies. i didnt wait for the first layer to cool all the way before adding the second layer (too long for the oven to be on) it turned out great. i also like the consistency of the frosting. i lined my pan with foil so i could easily remove them before cutting. thanks these were a hit.
These are yummy! I do not have a 11x7 pan, so I used a 9x13 pan and reduced the baking time of the second layer to 15 min.
This is my all time favorite brownie recipe. My mom has been making these since I was little, and I LOVE them! Everyone should try these at least once, they give a whole new meaning to the term "brownie".