Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This potato dish is so sinfully RICH. I wouldn't recommend eating this on a regular basis!!! (But it's a nice treat when you want to splurge ; >). This recipe was listed as the side dish that Emeril serves with his ribeye roast.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 quart heavy cream
- freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- For best results, use a mandoline to slice the potatoes into even slices.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish, or ceramic soufflé dish with butter.
- In a sauce pot, bring garlic cloves and cream to a simmer.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the cream has reduced by about ¼ and has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in goat cheese crumbles.
- To assemble the potatoes in dish:.
- Layer the potatoes, overlapping slightly in alternate layers (white potato, sweet potato, and red potato).
- When the first three layers are in the dish, carefully ladle a couple scoops of the cream and cheese mixture over the potatoes, just to coat the bottom slices and the bottom of the pan.
- Finish layering the rest of the potatoes, alternating as before.
- There should be about 6 layers in all.
- Pour the rest of the cream mixture over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Please let gratin cool at least 10 minutes before serving.