Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A hearty meatless stuffed pepper
- 3 bell peppers
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups flavored breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Cut peppers lenghtwise and seed.
- Beat 4 eggs with water.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, cheese, and parsley.
- The consistancy should be like wet sand---add a little more water if necessary.
- Spoon filling into peppers.
- Place in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Filling should be firm.
- Spoon sauce over peppers and top each with a slice of cheese.
- Reutrn to oven 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Absolutely wonderful stuffed peppers. I will never make them any other way again. I used an Italian Blend shredded cheese to top them and they were great. One word of caution, and this was entirely MY fault. Follow step 4 and don't have your mixture too thick. I didn't thin the mixture like I should have and the filling was a little denser than they should have been. BUT!, the peppers were still delicious. Thank you Richard for sharing such a great recipe.
Ummm, these stuffed peppers sure were good, Richard. I loved that they are meatless. I followed your directions and would not change anything about this recipe. Made a wonderful family meal. The marinara and cheese topping were a great idea. Thanks for the recipe.
Very good recipe. To my fault, I did not have any flavored breadcrumbs, so tried try flavor my own with some Italian spice mix and salt. I even tasted it that it was ok, but obviously was not enough, because the filling was one big tasteless lump. I should have added more water to it, as well. But I love the idea and the whole consept is so nice, that I will try to correct my mistakes, next time.