Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
This reminds me of Greek Spanikopia. Its a wonderful and fairly easy recipe to prepare. There's never enough to go around!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, well drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cream (half and half)
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Chop onion and saute in oil 5 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach in the 3 tablespoons oil and continue cooking, stirring often until all liquid is gone.
- Transfer to a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and bake degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Super easy to make and so delicious!
I made my own whole wheat crust from another recipe on Food.com.
I used 6 oz of feta. It doesn't need nearly that much oil (i only eyeballed enough for sauteeing) and added two crushed garlic cloves in with the onions and spinach (i use garlic in everything!). I did use light cottage cheese, regular half and half, but lowered the half and half proportion down to a half cup and added a half cup (plus a little extra) of non-fat greek yogurt. I also used more dill than it called for...not sure exactly how much but probably about 1/4-1/2 tablespoon...but then again, I LOVE DILL! I also added pepper
Plan on making this again very soon!
Yummy! I cut the salt to 1/2 tsp and the oil to 1 Tbsp. Also used fat free half-and-half, light cottage cheese, and goat's milk feta. This was wonderful though it was a little watery after baking (didn't affect the taste though and I just drained off the liquid and it wasn't a problem any more.) Thanks for the recipe!
I have been using this recipe for the past 3 years or so, I am in love with it. I am a vegetarian and this quiche sounded amazing so I tried it and it was delicious. I make this all the time for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Potlucks, anywhere. I love how the cheeses are go well together. My favorite part is the dough, because the eggs and cheeses soak it up so well. The onions give it a kick and I can't believe I found this recipe.