Recipe by Chief Teer
This reminds me of Greek Spanikopia. Its a wonderful and fairly easy recipe to prepare. There's never enough to go around!
Top Review by CSGP
Super easy to make and so delicious!
I made my own whole wheat crust from another recipe on Food.com.
I used 6 oz of feta. It doesn't need nearly that much oil (i only eyeballed enough for sauteeing) and added two crushed garlic cloves in with the onions and spinach (i use garlic in everything!). I did use light cottage cheese, regular half and half, but lowered the half and half proportion down to a half cup and added a half cup (plus a little extra) of non-fat greek yogurt. I also used more dill than it called for...not sure exactly how much but probably about 1/4-1/2 tablespoon...but then again, I LOVE DILL! I also added pepper
Plan on making this again very soon!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, well drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cream (half and half)
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Chop onion and saute in oil 5 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach in the 3 tablespoons oil and continue cooking, stirring often until all liquid is gone.
- Transfer to a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and bake degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.