Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
"Good with hamburger, cheese sandwich, egg salad sandwich and as a pickle with regular meals."
- Cut onion into thin slices. Separate into rings and put into a two cup sterilized jar.
- Pour boiling water over to cover onions. Allow to cool, then drain.
- Mix together vinegar, water, sugar, salt and hot pepper sauce and bring to a boil. Pour over onion rings.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 days before using.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 months.
Almost as easy as making tea! I used cider vinegar and a little extra tabasco. 5 stars for simplicity and 6 stars for flavor even after a few hours let alone a few days. Do yourself a favor and make two pints of these because they won't last long once they are on the table. Thanks for posting - I love pickles! SA UPDATE ON THIS: My friend Patty tasted these onions and swiped the whole jar for her hubby.............
Very simple and delicious. I made as stated but with regular yellow onion and I cut two of them rather than 1/2 of one large onion. I used the cider vinegar. I agree that this could use more hot sauce but that is easily corrected. I let it marinate for 2 weeks and voila! Will use in recipes or on sandwiches, etc. in the future. Also, just sweet enough but not too sweet. Thanks for posting, Chief Teer, I enjoyed this one!
These were good but I've made other pickled onions that I liked better. These were a little too crunchy still for my taste but the flavor is good, though I thought it could be improved with some herbs and maybe some mustard. I did like them better when added to something (a grilled cheese sandwich this time) rather than just out of the jar. I'm glad I tried this though! Thanks for the recipe!