Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe was given to me years ago. I like to take it to potluck and parties. It's really simple to make and everyone enjoys it.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix) or 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) containerprepared whipped topping
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box.
- Pour cake batter into prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake cake as directed.
- Cool cake.
- Poke holes in the cake (a drinking straw works well).
- Combine the 3 milks in a saucepan with the vanilla and heat almost until boiling.
- Distribute milk mixture evenly onto the cake.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (overnight is best).
- Prior to serving, cover the top of the cake with the prepared whipped topping.
- Sliced fruit or colored sprinkles/sugar can be added for a decorative touch.
really good cake. i am giving it a 4 only because after having had the real thing, this one does sort of taste a bit 'cake-mixish' to me. i wanted to take this to a party today and was running out of time so i made this recipe instead of trying it from scratch. everyone loved the cake - it was super moist and just plain lovely. my only complaint is that a little bit of the liquid pooled around the base of the cake despite overnight refrigeration. v. good cake though . thanks chiagopm. :)
this cake is easy and tasty. depending on the occasion, i have altered this cake by cutting the cake in half and spreading guva jam , then putting the top back on to then poke the holes to then spread the milk mixture topping. strawberry jam also works well for the center.
This is my favorite cake and all of my lage Latino family loves it too! I made it for Thanksgiving and it was a HUGE hit. I made it exactly to the recipe and then topped with cool whip. The day after I tasted it and it was even better! The milk had completely soaked in, not just on the bottom. I will make again, 2 days before I plan to serve it!