Recipe by Chicagopm
This recipe was given to me years ago. I like to take it to potluck and parties. It's really simple to make and everyone enjoys it.
Top Review by grapefruit
really good cake. i am giving it a 4 only because after having had the real thing, this one does sort of taste a bit 'cake-mixish' to me. i wanted to take this to a party today and was running out of time so i made this recipe instead of trying it from scratch. everyone loved the cake - it was super moist and just plain lovely. my only complaint is that a little bit of the liquid pooled around the base of the cake despite overnight refrigeration. v. good cake though . thanks chiagopm. :)
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix) or 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) containerprepared whipped topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box.
- Pour cake batter into prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake cake as directed.
- Cool cake.
- Poke holes in the cake (a drinking straw works well).
- Combine the 3 milks in a saucepan with the vanilla and heat almost until boiling.
- Distribute milk mixture evenly onto the cake.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (overnight is best).
- Prior to serving, cover the top of the cake with the prepared whipped topping.
- Sliced fruit or colored sprinkles/sugar can be added for a decorative touch.