Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
One hell of a cake.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamed.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add yolks and beat well until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Add milk and almond extract to mixed ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour into a greased 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes, or until done.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Poke many holes all over cake with a fork.
- In a large saucepan, combine condensed milk, whipping cream, corn syrup, evaporated milk, and rum.
- Carefully bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Slowly pour over cake, letting the liquid absorb.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve cold, with whipped cream and strawberries if desired.
OMG!! This was the best cake ever. I made it for my brother's 22nd birthday since he wasn't home to celebrate his 21st. The best way I can describe it is to say that it's a white russian poured onto a cake. My family is requesting it for the fourth of july. I served it with berries crushed and mixed together with sugar and some apricot brandy. I then topped it all with whipped cream. YUMMY!!!!!
Yep, one hell of a cake. The topping wasn't all absorbed by the cake but no matter, this is delicious. Better as it ages too and rich enough that it doesn't need the extra whipped cream (or the extra calories). Not a cake I'd make often but just it case, it's going into a permanent cookbook. TFS