Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a fantastic cake! Rich, but not too rich. Sweet, but not too sweet. You can take this cake anywhere! Pot lucks, picnics, just about anywhere!
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh berries (optional) or cinnamon (optional)
- Combine flour and baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and 1 teaspoons vanilla. Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, then gently fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased cake pan or baking dish and bake at 325°F for 30-40 minutes or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until it feels room temperature. Turn it over onto a platter with raised edges. Pierce cake with a fork 20-30 times. Let it cool in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup milk, 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup heavy cream and the rum. Slowly pour over cooled cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Occasionally, spoon the milk runoff back into the cake.
- In a mixing bowl, add 3/4 cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat until peaks form. Spread with a sprinkle of cinnamon or garnish with fresh berries.
- When a recipe calls for an ingredient "divided" (such as the vanilla in this recipe) it means that you will need 2 teaspoons vanilla, for separate uses. I realize that most people know what divided means, I'm only stating it for the beginner chefs.