Recipe by Brisket in Roses
This is my tres leches cake recipe and every one seems to love it. hope you enjoy it too. I do not have a frosting recipe for this, as I usually frost it with sweetened whipped cream and decorate with fresh fruit. Edited on 1/23/08 to add note.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs, seperated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
Tres Leches Mix
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 14 ounces heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark spiced rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift flour with baking powder and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy with a mixer. Slowly start adding sugar to tighten whites.
- Add yolks one at a time.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. (Sides should pull slightly away from pan.
- Cool on wire rack.
- For Tres leches mix: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and set aside (refrigerate and stir mix right before using.
- To assemble: unmold the cake once it has cooled off a bit (still slightly warm).
- Place cake on platter (I always put the bottom side up) and spoon the mixture a little at a time.
- Make sure to spoon some closer to the edges because sometimes the edges does not absorb the mixture.
- Ice the top of cake as desired and refrigerate until serving time. Should be served cold.
- *NOTE: sometimes i omit the rum and add fruit nectar, coffee, or some other extract. so far i do NOT recommend pomegranate. I do recommend coffee, mango, passionfruit, guava, and any berry. I do not have measurements to these, I just add to taste.