1/1 Photo of Tres Leches Boston Cream Cake
After having a left over piece of this cake, my dad requested this cake for his birthday tomorrow. I usually have all these ingredients on hand and it is especially easy because it starts off with a cake mix. It is different than most tres leches cakes because it has a chocolate icing just like Boston Cream Pie. Now if I could only figure out how to get some custard in it. By Rolando Cruz-Taura, Coastal Living, MARCH 2009.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk (I use regular milk with 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk (you may want to use more)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Beat first 4 ingredients with an electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds, then at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 2Pour batter into pan, and bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Pierce top of cake multiple times using a small wooden pick. (I have made the cake both with leaving it in the pan and adding the milks and icing and I have also gently taken it out of the pan and poured the milks on and then poured on the icing.).
- 3Combine cream, condensed milk, and evaporated milk in a small bowl; gradually pour and spread over warm cake, about 1/4 cup at a time, allowing mixture to soak into cake before pouring more. Let stand 2 hours; cover and chill overnight.
- 4Bring half-and-half to a boil. Pour into a medium bowl with chocolate chips, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Pour evenly over chilled cake. (If leaving the cake in the pan, the chocolate topping comes out a bit thicker than if you remove the cake from the pan. If you frost the removed from the pan, much of the icing ends up on the tray around the bottom of the cake which was ok because some people in my family love chocolate and they were able to scoop it up and add extra to their pieces!).
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tres Leches Boston Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.3
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 485.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 70.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g