Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is compliments of the FoodNetwork website and Alton Brown's Good Eats show.... His recipes take a little more work because of amount conversions but they always seem worth it!
- 6 3⁄4 ounces cake flour, plus extra
- cake flour, for the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sugar
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and flour a 13x9 metal pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately one minute.
- Decrease the mixer speed to low and gradually add the sugar over one minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter in three batches and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. This will appear to be a very small amount of batter.
- Bake on the middle rack onf the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and reaches an internal teperature of 200 degrees.
- Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. ALlow the cake to cool completely and then prepare glaze.
- For the glaze; whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and half and half in a 1 quart measuring cup. Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake. Refrigerate overnight.
- For the topping; Place the heavy cream, sugar andf vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whish together on low until stiff peaks form. Change to medium speed and whisk until thick.
- Spread evenly over the top of the cake and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This cake is FANTASTIC!!!! I have made it several times and it is always a hit. I have altered it at times using carmelized milk instead of the condenced and it gives it a little more punch! I have also added a layer of melted seedless raspberry jam before the topping Excellent!