Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I always cut the recipe in half for us; poured the resulting delicious ketchup into a covered, plastic container that I kept in the refrigerator. It lasted just fine for almost three months....then it was all gone!
- 5 ripe tomatoes, medium size
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red pepper, medium size
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, medium size
- 1⁄4 cup onion, medium size
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash red pepper (I used cayenne, although there is a slight difference)
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- Quarter tomatoes; remove stem ends.
- Add peppers, seeded and cut into chunks, and onions, peeled and quartered.
- Put vegetables into blender, filling 3/4 full.
- Blend at high speed for about 10 seconds; or until vegetables are pureed.
- Repeat as necessary; pour all into a large sauce pan.
- Add rest of ingredients; stir to blend thoroughly.
- Bring to boil over medium heat; lower heat and simmer, uncovered until volume is reduced by half.
- (My half recipe took about an hour ro reduce.) Pour into hot jar.
- Adjust lid.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes at 212 degrees.
- Remove jar and complete seal.