Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my Grandpop Trego's recipie for Clam Chowder. Grandpop could never make anything in small batches. Make sure you have a very large pot. This makes 5 gallons of chowder. Use salt to adjust to your taste. This can be packaged and put into the freezer for later use.
- 1419.54 ml water
- 14.79 ml salt
- 30 large steamer clams
- 1 large head of celery
- 1360.77 g onions
- 2267.96 g potatoes
- 566.99 g can italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 453.59 g can tomato soup
- 29.58 ml assorted herbs (pot herbs)
- 453.59 g carrot, diced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Dice celery, onion and carots.
- Cook raw veggies on salted water until nealy tender.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Mash the peeled tomatoes and add to pot.
- Add Pot herbs and parsley.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Grind or fine chop clams and add with juice.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
Even frozen there's no way I was making 5 gallons of chowder, so I cut this recipe back by 3/4 & came up with almost 5 quarts, keeping 1 to eat, 1 to freeze, while farming out the other 3 to interested friends/relatives! Herbs I used included some dill weed, celery seeds & a small pinch of cayenne pepper! Maybe not quite like Grandpa's, but tasty! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]