Recipe by Thndrus
This is my Grandpop Trego's recipie for Clam Chowder. Grandpop could never make anything in small batches. Make sure you have a very large pot. This makes 5 gallons of chowder. Use salt to adjust to your taste. This can be packaged and put into the freezer for later use.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Even frozen there's no way I was making 5 gallons of chowder, so I cut this recipe back by 3/4 & came up with almost 5 quarts, keeping 1 to eat, 1 to freeze, while farming out the other 3 to interested friends/relatives! Herbs I used included some dill weed, celery seeds & a small pinch of cayenne pepper! Maybe not quite like Grandpa's, but tasty! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]
- 1419.54 ml water
- 14.79 ml salt
- 30 large steamer clams
- 1 large head of celery
- 1360.77 g onions
- 2267.96 g potatoes
- 566.99 g can italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 453.59 g can tomato soup
- 29.58 ml assorted herbs (pot herbs)
- 453.59 g carrot, diced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice celery, onion and carots.
- Cook raw veggies on salted water until nealy tender.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Mash the peeled tomatoes and add to pot.
- Add Pot herbs and parsley.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Grind or fine chop clams and add with juice.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.