Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bacon
- 1⁄2 lb parsnip
- 1 lb shin beef
- 1 lb potato
- 1 white cabbage
- 1 large leek
- 1⁄2 lb carrot
- oatmeal (to thicken)
- 1⁄2 small swede (Turnip)
- Use a large saucepan and see that all the meat and vegetables are covered by water.
- Boil ingredients, except leek, together, and leave to simmer as long as you wish.
- Put the leek in 10 minutes before serving and let the cawl boil.
- Cawl was the dish most commonly served for dinner on the farm during the winter months, in the counties of South and West Wales.
- The broth itself would be served in basins or bowls, with bread, and the meat and vegetables served as a second course.
- Tregaron is a small market town in the heart of Ceredigion now famous for its poney trekking.
- Croeso Cymreig.