1/7 Photos of Treebeard's Red Beans (And Rice)
2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is quite a favorite at Treebeards' restaurant in Houston. It's posted in response to a request. Cooking time does not include the pre-soak or pre-boil time. To make it South Beach friendly, substitute low fat turkey smoked sausage for the regular smoked sausage, and serve with brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1Sort and wash red beans. In a large soup pot, add 2 qrts cold water and red beans. Let soak overnight. (To speed up the process, you can bring them to a boil, simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour before the next step.) DO NOT DRAIN WATER!
- 2Add onions, celery, and bell pepper to beans and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft. DO NOT STIR MORE THAN NECESSARY.
- 3Stir in seasonings and sausage. Simmer 30 minutes more.
- 4Meanwhile cook a pot of rice, and serve the beans over the hot cooked rice, garnished with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onion.
- 5Note: Don't stir more than necessary - you don't want mushy beans. If you want thicker beans, remove the lid during the last 30 minutes of cooking time, or remove 1/2 cups of the beans and mash them before returning to the pot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Treebeard's Red Beans (And Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 1620.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 16.4 g