Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Creamed corn and cheddar cheese make this cornbread moist and a few jalapeno peppers give it a kick. Adjust the amount of jalapenos to accommodate your individual taste.
- 5 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine baking powder, salt and vegetable oil. Stir until mixed. Add remaining ingredients, adding milk last. Mix thoroughly. Scrape batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cornbread tests done.
- TIP: To keep the cut-end of cheese from drying out, rub with a little butter or olive oil before re-wrapping.
We have lunch at Treebeards weekly. This cornbread is a hit wi everyone. Would highly recommend it!