Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The Caroni swamp, near PORT-of-SPAIN in TRINIDAD, is known for its tree oysters. One can take a boat into the swamp & here, besides oysters and most beautiful tropical vegetation, the scarlet ibis make their nests. Any visitor to TRINIDAD should try to see this bird and to make the excursion to the swamp. From Caribbean Cooking For Pleasure, Mary Slater.
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 2⁄3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped marjoram
- 8 ounces rice
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 20 okra, thinly sliced
- 36 tree oysters, shelled & drained
- Melt butter in saucepan and brown onions slightly.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the oysters.
- Cook slowly over a low heat stirring occasionally to prevent sticking for 35 minutes.
- By this time the rice will be tender and the sauce thick.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour into a heated casserole dish.
- Add the oysters, allow to stand COVERED for 5 minutes before serving.