Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
No booty here… all breasts! This island gem’s treasure is the bounty of roasted vegetables and fruit that accompany the Caribbean soaked chicken. A simple and delicious one-dish meal with little clean up!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 - 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 plantains, cut into 2 chunks
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1 pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 pieces
- 3 lbs chicken breasts (bone-in) or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, including green tops chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers (you like it HOT HOT HOT) or 1⁄2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped (you like a little zip) or 1 teaspoon cayenne (you have children)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (balsamic)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small orange, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a large zip lock or large container with lid.
- Make 3 or 4 deep slashes in each chicken breast.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (the veggies, fruit and chicken) to the container with marinade and toss to coat evenly. Put contents into large baking pan reserving as much of the marinade as possible and arrange the chicken so that is on top. Rub the remaining marinade all over the chicken and into the slashes.
- Place in oven on an upper rack. After 40 minutes for bone-in chicken and 30 minutes for boneless chicken check to see if the chicken is no longer pink. If your vegetables are cut into larger chunks make sure they do not need additional cooking time at this point. If so, remove chicken and keep warm and return veggies to the oven.
- For a crisp skin turn broiler on for 5 minutes before removing from oven.