Recipe by evelyn/athens
A very sweet, very comforting tart. Do try to locate the Golden Syrup required for it.
Top Review by CarrolJ
Very unusual pie. I wasn't sure whether I would like this pie or not...but since I had purchased golden syrup online prior to playing this game, I decided to try it. I had never heard of a tart/pie made with oatmeal. The big surprise was that the taste of the lemon juice and lemon zest was such a strong flavor in this pie. I expected the Golden Syrup to be the predominate flavor. Fortunately the lemon helps the pie from being overly sweet. Not sure I will ever make it again due to the unavailability to purchase the golden syrup where I live except online. Made for ZWT #6 - 2010
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 lb butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the pastry as for pie crust and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out for a 9 inch tart pan. Reserve the scraps. Trim the edges and retain the scraps.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the oats, zest, and ginger, and sprinkle half in the pastry. Pour on the syrup and lemon juice and sprinkle rest of oat mixture on top.
- Roll out any remaining pastry and cut strips to lay a trellis over the tart if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot or cold.