1/1 Photo of Trdelnik - Slovak/Czech Sweet Pastry
2 hrs 40 mins
Tomas Sedlacek's Note:
This recipe is result of request by many forum members. My first recipe here, and on top of it, transated from Slovak / Czech original (well, but by native Czech chef), so bear with me :-) Some history - original recipe is dated to 17th century, perhaps the original is from Hungary or even Easter parts of Europe. TRDLO - the exact translation is "clodpole, or clodpoll or goofy", but meaning here is the wooden stick, about two feet long and 3 to 4 inches in diameter, which this sweet pastry is supposed to be baked on. Original recipe calls for baking it over open fire (hot coals), wrapped around this buttered wooden stick. However, metal works too. After many sleeples nights I found solution, which easily allows me (now you too)to prepare this in USA. (aren't I a clever boy :-))) Round wooden stick is still needed (any hardware store), can be wrapped in AL foil, if you don't trust the bare wood. Best part for upcoming warm weather - the grill. Yea, get your grillmaster out of there and rig this trdlo, (ok, we'll call it wooden stick) over the grill. Do not try to lay it on the grill screen, has to be above in the air!! Take the grilling screen out if possible and bake the trdelnik over the hot coals. This easy setup will allow you to bake it the way it was last couple hundred years, no oven or such, this is awsome and super easy fun.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g all-purpose flour
- 141.74 g unsalted butter
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 28.34 g fresh yeast
- 118.29 ml milk (milk as needed, nonexistent exact measure)
- 1Please read the description part first, as it's essential for this recipe. Thak you.
- 2First stiff into large mixing bowl flour and powdered sugar. Make a small hole in the middle and place into it crumbled fresh yeast. Pour lukewarm milk over the yeast. Let it rise for about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile melt the butter.
- 4Add egg yolks into the bowl, pour in melted, but not hot butter, add pinch of salt.
- 5Mix together to make fairly firm dough, well worked (use stand mixer, it's easy).
- 6Let the dough rise for 20 minutes in warm place.
- 7Divide into five equal parts, make loafs.
- 8You can let it rise for another 20 minutes (it's better, but not necessary if fresh yeast used, a must with dry yeast).
- 9Roll out each loaf into 2/3 inch diameter /caster?/ - you know what I mean, thin, cylindrical shape, like a small snake :-)).
- 11Wrap the dough tighty around the BUTTERED "trdlo" wooden stick. Let it stand for ten more minutes (support the ends, so it will be in the air).
- 12Glair with the last egg, cover all around with chopped walnuts and granulated sugar.
- 13Bake as described above over hot coals on the grill. Results MAY be achieved with oven, but . . . .
- 14The pastry need to be turned pretty often during baking, and baked until golden red color. Baking time is not determined, since baking over hot coals and on open air, but from my experience about 20 to 40 minutes, also depends on size you making.
- 15When cooled down a little,
- 16slide the baked pastry of the wooden stick, cut into individual servings, sprinkle with powdered sugar, enjoy.
- 17Also you can cover it in various nuts, coconut and such.
- 18Makes five, baked on two feet long, three inch diameter wooden stick.
- 19I tried to have your reading bit more enjoyable, if there is something not so clear (this recipe is VERY unusuall), feel free to ask.
- 20Tomas Sedlacek.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trdelnik - Slovak/Czech Sweet Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 53.5 mg
- Sodium 8.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 5.5 g