Recipe by Mimi Hall
I began making this soup when my children were little. It was a good way to clean out the left overs in the frig as well a way to get my kids to eat lots of veggies. My children named the soup and I couldn't change the name though it's not an appetizing title.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 5 -6 carrots (1/2 inch dice)
- 10 ounces frozen baby lima beans
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 1 small yellow squash (diced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package Knorr vegetable soup mix
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 11 1⁄2 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown Beef in hot oil in pan.
- To this add beef Broth with the Knorr soup mix, barley that has been soaked for a few hours in water.
- Add canned tomatoes and V-8 juice to suit your taste.
- Add vegetables longest cooking first such as the lima beans, carrots then broccoli, zucchini and squash.
- Add pasta last. It will swell and get over cooked if you cook too long. I usually turn the soup off and add the pasta, stir and let set about ½ hour. Or you can cook the pasta of choice separate and add to individual soup bowls as you serve it. You can adjust to your personal taste by adjusting V-8, beef broth and water.