A whole turkey roasted upright on a stake under a metal trash can. The moistest, tastiest turkey I've ever eaten. This is a Boy Scout Recipe. It's just great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Also requires: 1 Wood or Metal Stake (at least 1" thick and 20" long), Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, 1 Clean 30 Gallon Metal Trash Can.
- 220 Lbs. Charcoal.
- 3Mix poultry seasoning, salt, mustard, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- 4Remove giblets from neck or body cavity of the turkey and set aside for use another time (or gravy).
- 5Remove and discard the fat just inside the cavities of the turkey.
- 6Rinse turkey inside and out under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels.
- 7Season the bird with the rub, placing 1 TBS into the neck cavity and 2 TBS int0 the body cavity.
- 8Brush or rub the outside of the turkey all over with the olive oil and sprinkle it with the remaining rub.
- 9Put covered into refrigerator and let cure for 4 hours or overnight.
- 10Clear a 4 foot circle on the ground, using a shovel (do this on dirt, not your grass).
- 11Cover the circle with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- 12Drive the stake into the ground in the center of the circle, so it sticks up about 16" above the ground.
- 13Light the charcoal in a grill.
- 14Holding the turkey with the neck end at the top, lower it onto the stake.
- 15The tail end of the bird should be about 6" above the ground.
- 16Place the trash can over the turkey, keeping the bird in the center and resting the trash can on the ground.
- 17Shovel 1/3 of the coals on top of the trash can and the remainder around the outside; these should come 3 to 4" up the sides of the can.
- 18Cook the turkey until cooked through (1 1/2- 2 hours).
- 19Using a shovel, remove the coals and ash from the sides and top of the can.
- 20Lift the can off the turkey- CAREFUL- The can will be HOT!
- 21Transfer the turkey to a platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- 22Let it rest for 10- 15 minutes, then carve and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trash Can Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (690 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1118.3
- Calories from Fat 511
- Total Fat 56.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 463.0 mg
- Sodium 2187.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 139.6 g