It's the heavy Eastern European bread. My mom's been making it for ages.
Make and share this Transylvanian Potato Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Half of the flour plus the yeast are put into one cup of hot water and then poured over the potatoes.
- The composition is mixed well (~30 minutes).
- The dough is kneaded with more flour and allowed to rise in a warm place (under a blanket or in an oven on warm) for 2 hours.
- To the risen bread is added the rest of the flour and the salt dissolved in hot water and is kneaded vigorously for 30 minutes or until the dough does not stick to the hand anymore.
- The dough is allowed to rise again for 50 minutes the dough can be cut or placed in the form of choice.
- Make sure to rub a bit of oil or butter on the bread pans so the dough does not stick.
- Let the bread rise for another 30 minutes inside the bread pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.