Recipe by leann2800
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Red Pepper and Bacon, Saffron flavored Yellow chicken and potatoes, and Green Onion and Cilantro make a colorful traffic light stew your family will stop in their tracks for. When I was growing up, two of my favorite dishes were Cuban Bean Soup and Chicken with Yellow Rice. This dish was inspired by those 2 dishes. I took my favorite ingredients from both and merged the meals. I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Susie D
I wanted to try the recipe after spotting your entry in the contest. I elected to use tumeric instead of saffron and only one bag of the potatoes. I ended up with a colorful and tasty soup rather than a stew, but the recipe was enjoyed by the family. The mention of 2 teaspoons vegetable oil cooking spray I took to mean either/or so used cooking spray. We like cilantro so I garnished the bowls with additional amounts before serving. I think additional veggies could easily be added if desired. Thank you for sharing your creative entry! I'm glad I tried it. Made for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef.
- 2 (20 ounce) packages Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 4 tablespoons bacon bits
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, brown chicken breasts cubes in large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir in bacon bits, red pepper, green onions, cilantro and saffron. Make sure the bacon, vegetables and chicken are well blended. Cook for two minutes on medium heat.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are tender. Broth will be cooked away when potatoes are tender.
- Optional: Garnish with bacon bits or green onions.