Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Traditional Wholemeal Bread recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (preferably stone-ground)
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F Brush heavy large baking sheet with vegetable oil. Combine whole wheat flour, bran, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Sift all purpose flour into bowl; stir well to combine. Add buttermilk and stir until shaggy dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until dough comes together, about 10 turns. Shape dough into 5-inch round. Cut large 1/2-inch-deep X in top of dough round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake bread until pale golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean and dry, about 45 minutes. Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.