Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Real Welsh rarebit has a real bite to it, which means you need a strong cheddar, sharp cheddar or mature cheddar. You can serve it by itself on white toast or add toppings to it. My personal favourite is poached egg or fresh ripe summer tomato slices. Yum!
- 225 g grated sharp cheddar cheese or 225 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons of good ale (don't put in here something you wouldn't drink!)
- 2 tablespoons English mustard, not powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices bread
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Combine cheese, ale, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in a pot over very low heat or in a double boiler.
- Melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth and well mixed.
- Spread mixture on bread, and heat under the grill for about 1 minute and serve, or spread on toasted bread and eat immediately.