Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
I first had this delectable dessert at a Latin American restaurant, when they were out of my first choice (rice pudding) I ordered this. I felt like I had hit the jackpot!!Wouldn't you know, this restaurant went under and I researched lots of recipes until I decided on this one. I served it for Christmas last year. It evokes the same comfort feeling of tiramisu, but with a vanilla/almond flavor. I hope you'll try it!
Top Review by lori
This cake is fabulous. served this at a dinner party. One of the guests said he usually doesn't eat dessert, but he had several helping of this cake. I followed the recipe exactly. Next time I may add a little amaretto to the milk mixture and as flavoring to the whipped cream.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 10 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter and flour bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light in color and doubled in volume.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Beat until firm but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen edge of cake with knife before removing side of pan.
- Cool cake completely; place on a deep serving plate.
- Use a two prong meat fork or cake tester to pierce surface of cake.
- Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream.
- Discard 1 cup of the measured milk mixture or cover and refrigerate.
- Pour remaining milk mixture over cake slowly until absorbed.
- Whip the remaining whipping cream until it thickens and reaches spreading consistency.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Frost cake with whipped cream and garnish with cherries.