Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I first had this delectable dessert at a Latin American restaurant, when they were out of my first choice (rice pudding) I ordered this. I felt like I had hit the jackpot!!Wouldn't you know, this restaurant went under and I researched lots of recipes until I decided on this one. I served it for Christmas last year. It evokes the same comfort feeling of tiramisu, but with a vanilla/almond flavor. I hope you'll try it!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter and flour bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light in color and doubled in volume.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Beat until firm but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen edge of cake with knife before removing side of pan.
- Cool cake completely; place on a deep serving plate.
- Use a two prong meat fork or cake tester to pierce surface of cake.
- Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream.
- Discard 1 cup of the measured milk mixture or cover and refrigerate.
- Pour remaining milk mixture over cake slowly until absorbed.
- Whip the remaining whipping cream until it thickens and reaches spreading consistency.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Frost cake with whipped cream and garnish with cherries.
This cake is fabulous. served this at a dinner party. One of the guests said he usually doesn't eat dessert, but he had several helping of this cake. I followed the recipe exactly. Next time I may add a little amaretto to the milk mixture and as flavoring to the whipped cream.
This was so easy and it smelled so great in the oven my husband did not want to wait for it to cool down! This was my first attempt at Tres Leches and it was so good. I will make this often!
I made this for my husband and daughter. We all loved it.