Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this derink on Chow & it says that it is very refreshing. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to trying this summer (if we have one here in the UK!). Time to make doesn't include chilling time.
- 8 star anise pods, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup loose chinese black tea leaves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- half-and-half or sweetened condensed milk
- Bring 1/2 gallon of cold water to a boil. Add 8 finely crushed star anise pods, 1 teaspoon orange blossom water, the scrapings of 1 vanilla pod or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, a pinch each of ground cloves and ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup Chinese black tea leaves.
- Boil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup sugar and a few drops of red food coloring (optional, though traditional). Cover, steeping until tepid.
- Strain & place in the refriderator for a few hours to really chill.
- Pour the tea over plenty of crushed ice. Top with half-and-half or sweetened condensed milk.
I've had this in my "Want To Try" book or about 3 yrs *blush*. Well, today was the day and I'm so sorry that I kept thinking -next week - every time I saw it. I knew that it was going to be amazing because I love everything that goes into it. Somehow this is one of those things that turn's out to be more than the sum of it's parts. I'm into Indian summer now with warm days and cooling evenings but this tea will be kept in the fridge for the rest of this month anyway. I'm not posting a photo as I didn't use the milk so mine isn't representative of the recipe as it's written. While I'll put the milk in hot chai I could only see this in my minds eye clear and in a tall glass. The anise here is star ingredient so if you enjoy anise this tea is a must try for you. :D
We came back from Thailand craving this drink. I chose this recipe because I had some star anise that I wanted to use. Overall, it's refreshing and pretty good, but I'm going to keep searching for more recipes to see what is out there.
This hit the spot on a hot day! I've never had an iced tea like it, but we really enjoyed it! Very unique and very good! Thanks for sharing. Made for Zaar World Tour 4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.