Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is also called Cholera Pie. It comes from the Goms region of Switzerland in the 1800's. The special ingredient is apples, although it is a savory pie.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 leek, thinly slice, white part only
- 2 apples, slightly tart, such as Granny Smith
- 2 medium potatoes
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 2 prepared pastry shells
- nutmeg, to taste
- Peel, halve and boil potatoes until mostly tender. Cool and slice.
- Peel and thinly slice apples.
- Melt butter in large skillet and sauté onion, leek and apples about 15 minutes, until just tender. Do not overcook.
- Add potato slices, salt, pepper and nutmeg and toss, light, trying not to break up potatoes much.
- Place pie crust in glass pie plate, add half the mixture, sprinkle to cover with cheese and add other half mixture.
- Place other pie crust on top, crimping edges and piercing to vent.
- You can brush with egg wash if you wish.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35-40 minutes, covering crust edges with foil after 20 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Hint: I go a bit heavy on the nutmeg.