1/2 Photos of Traditional Swiss Carrot Cake (Aargauer Ruebli Torte)
Posted by request, this recipe is an adaptation of one found in The Swiss Cookbook by Nika Standen Hazelton. The prep time is approximate and allows for grating of carrots and beating of egg whites as well as the actual mixing up of the batter.
My Private Note
or more ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup raw carrot, freshly grated and firmly packed
- 1 2/3 cups almonds, finely ground
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb, plus more for dusting pan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons kirsch (cherry liquor) or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Combine carrots and nuts in a mixing bowl.
- 2In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with the spices and baking powder, then blend into the carrot mixture.
- 3Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemony.
- 4Gradually beat the granulated sugar into the yolks, along with the lemon rind and the Kirsch (more authentic) or lemon juice (if you don't like to use alcohol in your cooking).
- 5Beat this mixture until thick, then stir into the carrot mixture.
- 6Beat egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form, then fold them gently into the carrot mixture- do not overmix.
- 7Line an 8" springform pan with waxed paper or parchment.
- 8Grease pan (including the paper lining) and dust with a very light sprinkling of fine dry breadcrumbs.
- 9Shake pan to make sure breadcrumbs coat evenly.
- 10Pour batter into the pan and bake in a preheated moderate oven at 350 F for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 11Let cool.
- 12Mix together glaze ingredients.
- 13Remove sides from pan and set cake on a wire rack that has been set over wax paper to catch the drips.
- 14Spoon the glaze over the top of the cake and sides, using a spatula to even out the glaze as you prefer.
- 15Garnish with some candied fruits, if desired.
- 16Store in a tightly covered cake box.
- 17This cake improves with age.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Swiss Carrot Cake (Aargauer Ruebli Torte)
Serving Size: 1 (1096 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 221.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 39.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: