Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is Cooking Light's version of the holiday classic, originally published in 2007 and referenced in Real Simple's Holiday Guide 2010. This is the ulitmate recipe, containing pecans AND mini-marshmallows. I rewrote the instructions to avoid copy-right infringement.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped, divided
- cooking spray
- 2 cups marshmallows, miniature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 11x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small stock pot add the cubed sweet potatoes and cover with water. Heat over medium-high until boiling then reduce to medium heat and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water and set aside in a large bowl.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla in the bowl with potatoes and mash until blended.
- Add the pecans and gently stir to mix.
- Spread the mix evenly into your baking dish and top with remaining pecans then marshmallows.
- Bake until lightly browned; approximately 25 minutes.