Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a combination of many lasagna recipes. This version is our favorite and comes close to what I always think of as a true restaurant style lasagna. I like to cook my own noodles, but you can also use no bake lasagna noodles and just add a 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottled sauces. You can also substitute ground beef or chicken for the turkey.
- 1 (12 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb Italian sausage, spicy, ground
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2.5 (24 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, tomato and basil flavor
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- Turn on oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with the salt and cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and cool, cover with water to prevent sticking.
- Cook sausage and ground turkey in a large skillet, set aside. In same skillet saute onion and mushrooms 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute 1 minute. Drain off excess fat if necessary. Add sugar and mix with meat mixture.
- In another bowl mix ricotta cheese, eggs, basil and parsley.
- Mix mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- In a 13x9 lasgna pan layer ingredients in the following order: spaghetti sauce, lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, meat mixture, mozzarella cheese, repeat twice ending with another layer of spaghetti sauce.
- Bake covered for 1 hour. Uncover and sprinkle top with provolone and remaning 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and bake an additional 20-30 minutes untill hot and bubbly.
My husband loved this! He ate it all as leftovers night after night!. The sausage is what makes it so irresistable. Great recipe.