Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Early Summer in a Jar. This is so good & great for beginner canners. *Pectin should not be substituted, liquid for powder or vice versa. Original Recipe found here: http://freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=265
- 5 cups strawberries, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons pectin, powdered (Ball RealFruit Classic)
- 7 cups sugar, granulated
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan.
- Gradually stir in pectin.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- Return mixture to a full rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head-space.
- Wipe rims.
- Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
- Remove jars and cool.
- Check lids for seal after 24 hours.
- Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- Serving = 1 Tablespoon.